It is not an overstatement to say that the United Methodist Church is facing the biggest crisis of its 50-year history. At the center of the controversy is a debate over the church’s stance toward homosexuality. United Methodists Divided provides a fair and impartial overview of the major issues facing the church as it approached a special session of General Conference in February 2019. United Methodists Divided includes:
- Balanced and fair-minded descriptions of both the traditionalist and the progressive views of homosexuality
- Thorough analysis of religious beliefs about homosexuality utilizing the Wesleyan Quadrilateral: Scripture, tradition, experience, and reason
- Details of all three plans (One Church, Connectional Conference, Traditionalist) presented in the final report of the Commission on a Way Forward
- Basic information on the upcoming special session of General Conference
- End-of-chapter questions suitable for personal reflection or group discussion
- Helpful context for people not familiar with the structure of the United Methodist Church.
If you are looking for an impartial book that fairly presents both sides of the crisis at hand, United Methodists Divided is the book for you.