This comprehensive volume is a must-have resource for every pastor. It contains over 100 sample sermons from preachers across the denominational spectrum, plus a vast array of prayers, scripture readings, and other material for planning and conducting meaningful funeral services.
The sermons cover a wide range of topics, including:
* honoring the long and fruitful lives of faithful Christians
* comforting the families and friends of children who left this world too soon
* dealing with troubling questions about God raised by those who have suffered
* offering solace to the loved ones of those who have died suddenly and unexpectedly
* demonstrating how the image of God is present even in difficult and unsavory people
* celebrating a variety of distinctive "characters"
* addressing the difficult issues associated with those who have committed suicide
* witnessing the Christian message of salvation to the unchurched
is also packed with other valuable resources:
* children's messages that help young people grasp the meaning of death
* prayers and other liturgical material, including calls to worship and responsive scripture readings
* an extensive selection of scripture texts, each with brief "sermon starter" ideas
* lists of appropriate musical repertoire, including hymns, choral music, instrumental music, and music for soloists
With all this in one volume, Life Everlasting
provides a complete set of practical tools for making funerals powerfully effective moments of ministry that reaffirm the central Christian message of Jesus Christ's victory over death.