Steve Pemberton's incredible true story teaches us that no matter how broken our past or great our misfortunes, we can create a new beginning and build a life of love and kindness. This new adaptation of the USA TODAY bestselling memoir A Chance in the World shares Steve's journey with 8 to 12-year-olds with sensitivity, honesty, and hope.
Since its publication in 2012, Steve's story has inspired thousands of people around the world. He has shared his story with millions on the Today Show and CBS News. In this Young Readers Edition, A Chance in the World teaches children:
- to begin each day with hope
- that there is goodness in the world, and it is possible to be a beacon of light for others
- that they can overcome challenging circumstances
- that everyone comes from different backgrounds and has value
- to apply Steve's inspirational message to their own lives, through age-appropriate discussion questions
Taken from his mother at age three, Steve Klakowicz lives in the clutches of a cruel foster family. He finds his only refuge in a box of books given to him by a kind stranger, books that take him to new worlds he can only imagine. He begins to hope that one day he might have a different life.
As he grows, Steve is determined to unravel the mystery of his origins. A light-skinned boy with blue eyes, a curly Afro, and a Polish last name, he embarks on an extraordinary quest for his identity, armed with only one clue. Yet nothing is as it appears.