Before the Beginning and after the End: An Educational Journey to the Reality of God frames an enduring set of questions about God's nature with the author's memoir of his undergraduate and graduate journey through studies in biology. By pairing his accounts of study and query, Floyd Ernest Bell Jr., PhD, presents a work that is both personal and universal.
Despite the great deposit of wisdom that he encountered in numerous classes, the author continued to carry with him questions that reached out to touch the unknown. Readers of Before the Beginning and after the End may find themselves asking these same questions:
- Where does matter come from in the first place?
- Was there a beginning? If so, what happened the day before?
- How do finite minds comprehend infinity?
- All matter occupies space and has mass, but when an organism dies, no space or mass is lost. Thus life is not matter. So, what is life? Would it be defined as the spirit?
- What is the conscience? Did it emerge through evolution? Do nonhuman species have consciences? What is the DNA code for a conscience?
Before the Beginning and after the End invites you to step out with the author and to share his educational journey leading to the reality of God. In the course of this exploration, you will find yourself confronted with the questions that push against the boundaries of knowledge and experience and lead to a life-changing encounter with the truth of God