Discover Your Unique Gift
"Creative aging is a choice.... If we remember that transition always begins with endings, moves on to a wilderness period of testing and trying, and only then do we reach the beginning of something new, then we can embrace this encore period of life with hope and curiosity, remembering always that it is our true nature to be creative, to be always birthing new ways of sharing our planet together."
--from the Epilogue
In a practical and useful way, Marjory Zoet Bankson explores the spiritual dimensions of retirement and aging. She offers creative ways for you to share your gifts and experience, particularly when retirement leaves you questioning who you are when you are no longer defined by your career.
Drawing on stories of people who have reinvented their lives in their older years, Bankson explores the issues you need to address as you move into this generative period of life:
- Release Letting go of the vocational identity associated with your career or primary work
- Resistance Feeling stuck, stagnant, resisting change
- Reclaiming Drawing energy from the past, discovering unused gifts
- Revelation Forming a new vision of the future
- Crossing Point Moving from stagnation to generativity
- Risk Stepping out into the world with new hope
- Relating Finding or creating new structures for a new kind of work