The Jesus is Baptized unit uses the Bible story included in Matthew 3:1-17. Jesus' cousin, John, was baptizing in the Jordan River, most likely near the Dead Sea. One day Jesus went to his cousin and asked to be baptized. John was reluctant and said, "Why did you come to me? I should be baptized by you!" Then he consented.
When Jesus rose out of the water, God's Spirit came upon him. A voice announced: "This is my Son! I am pleased with him!" Jesus' public ministry began shortly afterward.
Younger and older elementary children will hear the story of Jesus' baptism in a variety of ways so that they might discover and recognize that:
- Jesus was baptized as a sign of belonging.
- We participate in the same sacrament.
- The shell and dove are symbols of baptism.
- John the Baptist prepared the way for Jesus.
- God's presence is with us always.
For more information about PowerXpress, go to www.powerxpress.com.