Learn how to avoid being pulled into the orbit of materialism.
Stuff. And more stuff. And even more stuff. The next thing you know, we’re pulled into the orbit of materialism! In Defying Gravity, Tom Berlin takes a look at the difference between “want” and “need” and illustrates how possessions can create an unbearable weight on our lives. He shows us how too much stuff affects our ability to serve and thrive, and then he helps us explore what is required to sustain a vibrant life. Perfect for a four-week stewardship campaign and small-group study, Defying Gravity features the book, a Leader Guide with multiple format options;a DVD of “Generosity Moments” with uplifting stories of how generosity has changed and shaped lives ; a Program Flash Drive or download with campaign guide, handouts, tools, and videos for pastor mentoring and worship; and a Pastor Guide, A Generous Church. Break free from the culture of “more” and help your congregation become, instead, a church of generosity.
The Program Guide Flash Drive includes:
A Program Overview that includes the overall purpose of the campaign and hoped-for outcomes, the focus and challenges for each week of the campaign, as well as a schedule of activities (mailings, sermons topics, execution of the campaign) and follow-up after the campaign.
Pastor Tools that include:
- Video consulting sessions featuring Tom Berlin providing strategic advice to pastors and teams for creating a shared identity for the church as a generous congregation.
- A how-to guide for the Clean Out Challenge used at Tom Berlin’s church which is discussed in the Defying Gravity book
- Sample sermons for each of the four weeks
Worship Resources that may be used both in preparation of worship services as well as illustrations during a worship service include four sermon video illustrations (1-2 minutes) that pastors can use in worship as a part of their sermons and teaching. There are two versions for each week – a short video for use during worship service as well as an example of each video illustration with commentary from Tom Berlin demonstrating how the video might be used during a worship service.
Mailings (letters and e-mail) that will help pastors and leaders tailor their campaign.
Handouts for the campaign that include:
- An Estimate of Giving Card
- A Financial Planning Sheet (suggested for use in the Defying Gravity book)
Marketing materials that include:
- Book cover art in several versions
- Presentation images
- An editable flyer/poster to which church specific information may be added
- A vector EPS of the Defying Gravity logo