Speaking for God to the people and speaking to God for the people.
The bedrock grounding of church leaders is in God. This grounding comes through deliberate and explicit attention to God through prayer and self-reflection. Leadership as vocation, Christian leadership, begins with self-leadership, clarifying one's own heart, one's whole being, and one's mind in order to find and show that one's most basic identity and deepest and most concrete security lie in God—not in success or in pleasing someone else or in being seen as a good person or being loved by a congregation or the faith community we lead.
- The Vocation of Leadership
- The Shape of Our Vocation
- Lessons From the Saints
- What is Good Ministry?
- The Persons We Are and the Institutions We Serve
- The Preacher and Preaching
- Taking Care of Ourselves in the Everyday
- Time: It's Ours to Receive, Use, and Manage
- Staying Alive All Our Ministry Life