Robert Wicks, author of bestsellers Riding the Dragon
and Crossing the Desert
, examines what it means to truly live in the present moment, with eyes wide open to life and to God.
- A Fresh Look at a Traditional Theme: Christianity has traditionally called it practicing the presence of God or contemplative living. Buddhists call it mindfulness. Robert Wicks taps into this rich vein of global spirituality and calls it Prayerfulness: A way of being in the present with our eyes wide open to experiencing God and life in dynamic new ways. Seven spiritual steps, thirty days of guided reflections, and a Spiritual Mindfulness Questionnaire offer a creative blend of contemporary psychology and practical insight.
- Prolific and Successful: Dr. Robert J. Wicks's seven books with Ave Maria Press/Sorin Books have a composite sale of over 192,000 copies. He has published over 40 books, both as author and series editor, on the integration of psychology and spirituality. Among his recent popular books are Riding the Dragon (combined pb/hc sales of 45,000 copies) and Crossing the Desert (combined pb/hc sales of 16,000 copies). His most popular title Touching the Holy (over 65,000 copies sold) was reissued with a new foreword in 2007. His recent professional books The Resilient Clinician and Bounce have been well received in the clinical community.
- A Tireless Promoter of His Books: The author is a dynamic speaker who lectures at 10-12 events each year, to diverse audiences of health care providers, counselors, teachers, and ministry professionals. He has spoken to groups such as the FBI Academy, the Association of Toronto Public School Teachers, and the Wright State School of Medicine.
In the face of anguish and distraction so common in our society, Wicks presents a straightforward guide to deepening faith through compassion and love. A triumph of the human spirit!
---- Kerry Kennedy
- Author of Being Catholic Now
Prayerfulness stand out is Wicks's unfailing honesty and his ability to unite our everyday life to our relationship with the divine.
---- Joyce Rupp
- Author of Open the Door
Robert J. Wicks is the kind of wise elder that you need when times are tough and you are looking for hope. He has traveled the hard road and has gathered gems of insight and wisdom along the way. Robert is both a trustworthy pastor and a fascinating storyteller, and you are likely to leave his hut at the edge of the village with renewed energy and creativity, and with greater freedom to love.
---- Robert Jonas
- Author of The Essential Henri Nouwen
Robert Wicks' books are always insightful and inspiring. His latest publication,
Prayerfulness, provides people, especially pastoral leaders, with ways not only to pray but to live with a spirit of prayerfulness.
---- Most Rev. Gerald F. Kicanas, D.D.
- Bishop of Tucson