This engaging book by one of today's best-known Christian writers explores the history of heaven, from its origins in biblical writings to its most recent representations.
- A short, accessible book on the history of heaven.
- Draws together representations of heaven by a wide range of writers, theologians, politicians and artists.
- Covers literary works such as Dante's Divine Comedy, Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, and the poems of George Herbert.
- Considers discussions by Marx and Freud of heaven's role in society.
- Based on serious scholarship but is ideal for the non-specialist who wants to learn more about the idea of heaven.
- Alister E. McGrath is one of today's best-known Christian writers.