Understand God's Word in its Original Cultural Context
The NIV First-Century Study Bible introduces you to an ancient world vastly different from your own, but rich in valuable life lessons. This Bible includes great tools to help answer your questions about life in Bible times and see how the ancient past holds applicable truths for life today.
Including fascinating articles from Pastor Kent Dobson, unpacking the culture of Bible times, illuminating Scripture passages, and asking thoughtful questions along the way, this study Bible is a wonderful way to explore God's Word in its original Christian context and better understand the historical meaning of Scripture.
Kent Dobson is the teaching pastor at Mars Hill Bible Church in Grandville, Michigan, where he initially served as the worship director. He has been featured on Biblical programs for the History Channel and the Discovery Channel. Kent fell in love with Biblical studies in Israel and had the privilege of learning from both Jewish and Christian scholars. After his time in Israel, he returned to the States to teach high school religion and Bible before responding to God's call to the pastorate. Today, he keeps his connection to the Holy Land strong, leading tours to Israel that combine study and prayer, inspired by the ancient discipline of spiritual pilgrimage.
- Complete text of the accurate, readable, and clear New International Version
- Day in the Life articles, describing daily life in Bible times and Addressing the Text articles to help you dive deeper
- Word Studies expound upon original Hebrew words
- Study notes with writings from early church writers, rabbis, and extra-biblical sources
- Supplemental information on topics such as: Abomination that Causes Desolation, Antiochus IV Epiphanies, Conversion, Covenant, Dead Sea Scrolls, Essenes, Desert Law, Diviners in the Ancient World, Intertestamental Times, The Ethics of War, The Shema, Life in the Diaspora, The Greek Lions, The Biblical View on Slavery, Did Moses write the Torah, The Spirit of YHWH, Zealots, Wine Making
- Full-color photographs, maps, and diagrams
- Book introductions and outlines
- 9-point type size