Each year, the Christmas double issue of the Church Times offers a feast of seasonal reading. News of Great Joy draws together the best Christmas writing by outstanding authors and poets over twenty years to create an ideal Christmas gift and a wealth of material for all who preach or lead worship at Christmas.
Its many highlights include:
- the eminent biblical scholar John Barton on how to understand the Old Testament prophecies of the nativity;
- Barbara Brown Taylor on the prologue of John's Gospel which is always read on Christmas Day;
- Margaret Barker on the legends that have become part of the Christmas story;
- an unpublished short story by Evelyn Underhill;
- a piece on the origins of the Nine Lessons and Carols;
- poetry and reflections on the season's lectionary readings, and more besides.