A thoughtful, down-to-earth look at helpful ways to lessen human suffering.
This book takes you on a lively, sometimes light-hearted, journey through nine Buddhist practices that can bring "blessed relief" to a wide range of human suffering--and teaches you skills to reduce suffering in the long term for yourself and others.
The practices help you:
- Loosen the grip of suffering
- Engage and question limiting views, thoughts and opinions
- Deconstruct ten common assumptions
- Be present in each moment
- Survive emotional storms
- Develop peaceful communication skills
- Deepen communication with your partner
- Appreciate mortality and the preciousness of life
- Cultivate compassion
As you read the chapters and engage in each practice, you will work with your own stories of suffering--stories in which you have felt abandoned, deprived, subjugated, defective, excluded or vulnerable--and you will learn how to release yourself from suffering by investigating it with curiosity and kindness.