We live in a world that has become secularized, marked by ideology and partisanship. In such a world, how are we supposed to know what is right and wrong? As Christians, how are we supposed to approach the social issues of our day? With conflicting voices surrounding us, how can we hear and know the voice of Jesus Christ and receive His teachings?
As Christians, we seek to live the way of the Lord Jesus, but that's easier said than done. We want to demonstrate the Lord's love and kindness to all men and women, but we're faced with issues that cause us to discern what that looks like and how it's virtuously expressed. We want to do what is right and good, but trying to determine right and wrong can at times be confusing and unsettling.
The teaching authority of the Church is here to help. Appointed by Jesus Christ, our shepherds discern, interpret, and apply His teachings to our everyday lives. Sanctify Them in Truth
, by Fr. Jeffrey Kirby, is an approachable, easy-to-read guide on eight of our most pressing social issues. The book applies divine wisdom and the guidance of the Church as it dissects oft-debated topics, presenting helpful teaching so that the reader knows how to navigate today's contentious world with conviction and a clear conscience.
The book answers:
- Why is abortion above all other social issues in importance?
- Can immigration be both moral and limited?
- What is the Christian responsibility to the environment?
- How are we called to approach the LGBTQ+ movement?
- Is healthcare a human right?
- When can artificial nutrition and hydration be suspended for a dying relative?
- Is the Critical Race Theory within the bounds of justice?
- Why can't women be ordained priests?
In all these matters, the truth of Christ is the foundation for any response. Fr. Kirby's pastoral guidance helps to build that foundation in our intellects and in our wills, so that we can serve as a beacon for truth in a world that despises it.