An image rich, passage-by-passage, five-volume commentary box set of the entire Old Testament.
The Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary integrates textual and artifactual context from the ancient Near East to inform our understanding and interpretation of the Hebrew Bible--while remaining respectful to the inerrancy of Scripture.
Without a deep knowledge of the ancient cultures the Old Testament was born from, we can be tempted to impose our own culture on the text, potentially distorting it. This unique Bible backgrounds commentary set examines:
- The history of the ancient Near East as a means of recovering knowledge of the events that shaped the lives of the people.
- The archaeology as a means of recovering the lifestyle reflected in the material cultures.
- The literature of the ancient Near East as a means of understanding the heart and soul of the people who inhabited the ancient world that Israel shared.
Detailed exegetical notes are combined with comparative discussions of the cultural settings that help scholars interpret the Old Testament. This set brings all five volumes together into one beautiful package:
- Volume 1: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
- Volume 2: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 and 2 Samuel
- Volume 3: 1 and 2 Kings, 1 and 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther
- Volume 4: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel
- Volume 5: Minor Prophets, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs
THE ZONDERVAN ILLUSTRATED BIBLE BACKGROUNDS COMMENTARY SERIES
Invites you to enter the world of the Old Testament with a company of seasoned guides, experts who will give new insights into these cherished writings. Features:
- Over 2000 photographs, drawings, maps, diagrams, and charts provide a visual feast that breathes fresh life into the text.
- Passage-by-passage commentary presents archaeological findings, historical explanations, geographic insights, notes on manners and customs, and more.
- Analysis into the literature of the ancient Near East will open your eyes to new depths of understanding both familiar and unfamiliar passages.
- Written by an international team of 30 specialists, all top scholars in background studies.