Why am I not a more joyful parent? Why aren't my kids turning out as I expected? Why do I always feel as if I'm not doing enough for my children?
Is Parenting Supposed to Be This Difficult?
As a mother of six, author Leslie Leyland Fields knows firsthand the insecurities and questions that come with rearing children. In this provocative book, she explores with refreshing honesty the myths that can lead to unrealistic expectations and distract us from God's purposes for our children and for us. These nine myths include:
- Children make you happy and bring great fulfillment.
- You will always feel love for your child.
- Your success as a parent can be measured by your child's behavior.
- There is one "right" biblical model for family life.
- Good parenting will result in happy children.
Through a close look at God's own life as a parent as well as stories from real-life families, Fields highlights the transforming biblical truths that release parents from the grip of mistaken assumptions. Fresh, provocative insights will lead you to a deeper understanding of God and yourself-an understanding that lifts the weight of guilt and fear and frees you to love your children as God intended. Includes "going deeper" questions for individuals, couples, or groups.