This handsome and sturdy Clergy License Plate features “CLERGY” in black letters against white background and the Episcopal denominational shield in red, white, and blue. Each plate measures 11 7/8" x 5 15/16", and comes with pre-drilled holes to fit most every license space.
Examine our on-line selection of resources relating to the Episcopal Church, as well as specific associated products available in the Related Products Section below.
Did you know. . .
According to the Reverend Clayton Morris, liturgical officer for the Episcopal Church Center, the general Convention adopted the Episcopal Shield in 1940. The red cross on the white field is the Saint George Cross. The Saint George Cross indicates the link between the Episcopal Church and the Church of England, the mother church of the Anglican Communion. The colors red, white and blue are the colors taken from the flags of both the United States and England.
The smaller white crosses in the blue quadrant symbolize the nine original American dioceses that met in Philadelphia in 1789 to adopt the constitution of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States. The outline of the small white crosses is in the form of the Saint Andrew's Cross, a tribute to the Scottish church's role in ordaining the first American bishop, Samuel Seabury of Connecticut, at Aberdeen, in 1784.
–from the Episcopal Life, December 2002, page 11,
found in http://www.saintandrewschurch.org/episcopal_symbol.htm