A comprehensive, up-to-date, and user-friendly resource
Learning the Language of Addiction Counseling, Second Edition offers an illuminating view of the clinical, theoretical, and research work that comprises the addiction counseling field. Presenting a pragmatic counseling framework rather than trying to reconcile differing theories, this helpful text gives readers the knowledge and guidance needed to choose appropriate techniques and best practices for treating addicted individuals.
Throughout the text, case studies and interactive exercises assist readers in applying knowledge gained, whether in a self-teaching or a classroom setting. Addiction counseling expert and teacher Geri Miller presents a wide variety of topics designed to increase skills and understanding--from cutting-edge research to the latest in the self-help/grassroots therapy movement.
Fully revised and expanded, this Second Edition covers:
* Theories of counseling related to addiction treatment
* Assessment and diagnosis of addiction using interviews, behavioral observations, andphysiological and psychometric instruments
* Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of dual disorders
* The treatment process for addictions, including crisis intervention and individual, group, and family therapy
* Relapse prevention
* Treatment-related issues such as rape and sexual abuse, sexual orientation, HIV/AIDS, domestic violence, and eating disorders
* Self-help groups
* Current and evolving therapy approaches and techniques, including positive psychology, resilience, the stages-of- change model, motivational interviewing, and brief therapy
* Special treatment issues such as those related to gender, ethnicity, disability, adolescence, the elderly, and the homeless
* Personal and professional development of the counselor, including ethical issues, court testimony, working in difficult situations, self-care, and other issues in working with addicts
* Preparing for certification and licensure as an addiction professional
The most comprehensive, up-to-date, and user-friendly resource available, Learning the Language of Addiction Counseling, Second Edition offers a powerful learning tool for both students and professionals.