A Brief Introduction to the Old Testament
The Hebrew Bible in Its Context
Michael D. Coogan
OXFORD UNIV PR
More About This Product
Additional Bible Information
Additional Curriculum/Series Information
Engaging and accessible to students from all backgrounds, A Brief Introduction to the Old Testament: The Hebrew Bible in Its Context, Second Edition, is an updated, concise, and more pedagogical version of Michael D. Coogan's best-selling The Old Testament: A Historical and LiteraryIntroduction to the Hebrew Scriptures, Second Edition (OUP, 2010). Coogan works primarily from a historical and critical methodology but also introduces students to literary analysis and other interpretive strategies. He examines all the books of the Hebrew Bible and considers additional writings from the ancient Near East. The Apocryphal / Deuterocanonical books are included in an appendix. Providing a nondenominational and nondoctrinal treatment, this text offers a unique and captivating introduction to the Hebrew scriptures themselves and to how they have been--and can be--interpreted.
* Chapter introductions connecting each chapter to the preceding material and previewing the material to come
* Chapter summaries that highlight key points and link each chapter to the rest of the book
* Important terms, boldfaced at their first appearance and defined in the glossary
* Numerous strategically placed text boxes that offer interesting and useful supplementary information
* Timelines, photos, illustrations, maps, and a four-color insert on Jerusalem in biblical times
* Review questions, suggestions for further reading, a general bibliography, and annotated bibliographies at the end of each chapter
* A FREE 6-month subscription to Oxford Biblical Studies Online (www.oxfordbiblicalstudies.com)--a $180 value--with the purchase of every new copy of this text. Please contact your Oxford University Press Sales Representative at 800.280.0280 for details.
NEW TO THIS EDITION:
* Fully revised for even easier readability, with additional coverage of such compelling topics as levirate marriage--in which the brother of a deceased man is obligated to marry his brother's widow--the law of talion ("an eye for an eye"), and traditionally pure and impure foods
* Three new text boxes: "Myth and the Bible," "'God' and the Lord (God)," and "The Judges of Israel in the Book of Judges"
* Ten new or revised illustrations and maps
* Expanded and improved glossary and timelines
* Thoroughly updated general and chapter bibliographies
* A new table in the appendix depicting the modern equivalents for biblical weights and measures
* A fully updated Instructor's Resource CD featuring a test bank of multiple-choice questions, chapter summaries, essay questions, Powerpoint-based lecture outlines, suggested readings, a glossary, and downloadable PDF files of maps from the book
* An updated Companion Website at www.oup.com/us/coogan containing all of the material from the Instructor's Manual along with student resources including self-quizzes, a glossary, maps, and relevant links
Language of Text:
Order Gift Cards
Check Gift Card Balances
Catalogs & Brochures
Pay Your Cokesbury Bill
Find a Consultant
Manual Order Form
STAY IN THE KNOW
Sign-Up for Cokesbury News, Sales and Deals
ABOUT SSL CERTIFICATES
© 2018 Cokesbury |
Thank you. You will now receive Cokesbury News, Sales and Deals.
There was an error processing your request. Please try again.
The email address you supplied is invalid. Please check the email address and try again.