The way the Church uses music in worship has changed considerably in the past 25 years. The use of pipe organs has given way to guitars, pianos, string groups, and even recorded music. Unfortunately, most mainline church hymnals were not created with the needs of these instruments and musicians in mind. This collection of well loved hymns -- the first of a series -- is intended to help address that reality. Although the selections are taken from the official hymnal of the Episcopal Church, they are suitable for use in other Christian churches as well.
Tell Out, My Soul is a downloadable product that provides a means for guitar players and keyboard players to lead worship together, without compromising either instrument. This collection is designed to equip guitarists of nearly any skill level to lead worship. Other volumes for popular hymns will follow -- watch the CPI website for details!
Hymns in Volume 1 include:
- 7 Christ, whose glory fills the skies
- 36 O gladsome Light
- 135 Songs of thankfulness and praise
- 302 Father, we thank thee who hast planted
- 313 Let thy Blood in mercy poured
- 321 My God, thy table now is spread
- 328 Draw nigh and take the Body of the Lord
- 337 And now, O Father, mindful of the love
- 339 Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness
- 344 Lord, dismiss us with thy blessing
- 362 Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty
- 366 Holy God, we praise thy name
- 383 Fairest Lord Jesus, Ruler of all nature
- 388 O worship the King, all glorious above
- 397 Now thank we all our God
- 410 Praise, my soul, the King of heaven
- 423 Immortal, invisible, God only wise
- 433 We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing
- 460 Alleluia! sing to Jesus!
- 467 Sing, my soul, his wondrous love
- 474 When I survey the wondrous cross
- 479 Glory be to Jesus
- 493 O for a thousand tongues to sing my dear Redeemer's praise
- 494 Crown him with many crowns
- 516 Come down, O Love divine
- 518 Christ is made the sure foundation
- 524 I love thy kingdom, Lord
- 525 The Church's one foundation is Jesus Christ her Lord
- 537 Christ for the world we sing!
- 544 Jesus shall reign where'er the sun
- 555 Lead on, O King eternal
- 615 "Thy kingdom come!"
- 616 Hail to the Lord's Anointed, great David's greater Son!
- 621 Light's abode, celestial Salem
- 623 O what their joy and their glory must be
- 625 Ye holy angels bright, who sit at God's right hand
- 626 Lord, be thy word my rule
- 656 Blest are the pure in heart
- 657 Love divine, all loves excelling
- 658 As longs the deer for cooling streams
- 662 Abide with me: fast falls the eventide
- 671 Amazing grace! how sweet the sound
- 680 O God, our help in ages past
- 685 Rock of ages, cleft for me
- 688 A mighty fortress is our God
- 690 Guide me, O thou great Jehovah
- 691 My faith looks up to thee
- 693 Just as I am, without one plea
- 707 Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to thee
- 719 O beautiful for spacious skies
(Hymn numbers refer to The Hymnal 1982
(c) 1985 by the Church Pension Fund. All selections used by permission.)
Robert C. Laird is a church musician who has served a variety of different congregations in the Episcopal Church. Originally from Minnesota, he worked as a musician at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral and the University Episcopal Center in Minneapolis, the Church of Saints Martha and Mary in Eagan, Minnesota, and Trinity Episcopal Church in Excelsior, Minnesota. He has served on the Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music, and has worked with the Episcopal Youth Event as the Music Team Co-Coordinator and lead guitarist. Most recently, he was a part of planning and leading worship at the 2006 General Convention of the Episcopal Church.