The task of the church is to reach out to people and receive them in the name of Jesus Christ, to help them relate to God, to nurture and strengthen them in their journey of discipleship, and to send them into the world to live transformed and transforming lives.
The United Methodist Membership Records System supports the pastoral concern for persons that is so important to this task. Using the forms and procedures described in this manual will enable your church to maintain excellent membership records, which will be the source of vital information used by pastors, witness ministry chairpersons, evangelism chairpersons, and other church leaders for effective ministries to make disciples. All the forms and procedures are ingredients in the pastoral care of the church.
Because The United Methodist Church is a connectional church, we use a consistent approach to record keeping. Using these forms and procedures will help the pastor and staff meet the membership record-keeping and reporting requirements of The Book of Disciple.
This manual includes:
- Background, purpose, and value for keeping membership records for care and outreach
- FAQs on records required by The Book of Discipline 2016
- Tips on how to close gaps in your membership records
- Sample of each membership record sheet with instructions
Available online with purchase of this resource, includes:
- Searchable PDF of the Manual
- Templates for membership record sheets*
- Templates for 8.5” x 11” certificates for baptism, confirmation/reception, and membership in English, Korean, and Spanish
- Templates for additional forms, including Notification of Moved Members, Certificates of Transfer, and Verification of Baptism
The United Methodist Financial Records Handbook 2017-2020 was developed by The General Council on Finance and Administration of The United Methodist Church.
*Acid-Free archival paper is available at office supply retailers
such as Staples and Office Max, so you can printout the forms for your