Preaching is an essential component of priestly ministry and a means of pastoral engagement with the community, incarnating the holy and the eternal in the local and the now, and articulating the prophetic voice of the Church. It is a high calling and preachers rightly feel daunted by it.
This wise, elegant and practical companion, illustrated with examples of sermon texts, offers a rich doctrine of preaching in the Anglican tradition that will inspire confidence and hone skills. It explores key aspects of preaching including:
- Scripture as the heart of all preaching
- Preaching as mission and engagement with the wider world
- Preaching to all ages a " the use of story
- Preaching and rites of passage a " baptisms, wedding and funerals
- Preaching through the liturgical year including festivals
For beginners and seasoned preachers alike, this resource will provide inspiration over and over again.