"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7).
Throughout this book, the authors will focus on ten reasons to give. They are listed here for your convenience, but the reasons will be interspersed throughout the book. Look for them over and over again. They are some guidelines for becoming a more generous giver.
1. God wants us to remember the story of Cain and Abel (Genesis 4:3-7).
2. God blesses us because of who He is, not who we are or what we have done (2 Corinthians 8:7-9).
3. God blesses us to bless others (Ephesians 2:10, Acts 17:26, Esther 4:14).
4. God blesses us to fund the Great Commission (2 Corinthians 9: 10-11, Proverbs 28:27, Romans 10:13-15).
5. God wants our gifts to be first, the best, and from the heart (Proverbs 3:9-10, Genesis 4:3, Malachi 3:8-12).
6. God wants us to be generous, not as an act, but as a response. Generous giving includes an obedient will, a joyful attitude, and a compassionate heart (Matthew 10:8).
7. God wants our heart because money follows our heart (Matthew 6:21).
8. God's purposes should be our highest priority (1 Corinthians 16:1-4).
9. God wants us to be godly and content (1 Timothy 6:6).
10. God wants us to know that salvation is free, ministry has a cost, and there is a cost to being a disciple (Luke 14:33).