A Legacy of Preaching, Volume One--Apostles to the Revivalists explores the history and development of preaching through a biographical and theological examination of its most important preachers. Instead of teaching the history of preaching from the perspective of movements and eras, each contributor tells the story of a particular preacher in history, allowing the preachers from the past to come alive and instruct us through their lives, theologies, and methods of preaching.
Each chapter introduces readers to a key figure in the history of preaching, followed by an analysis of the theological views that shaped their preaching, their methodology of sermon preparation and delivery, and an appraisal of the significant contributions they have made to the history of preaching. This diverse collection of familiar and lesser-known individuals provides a detailed and fascinating look at what it has meant to communicate the gospel over the past two thousand years. By looking at how the gospel has been communicated over time and across different cultures, pastors, scholars, and homiletics students can enrich their own understanding and practice of preaching for application today.
Volume One covers the period from the apostles to the revivalists and profiles thirty preachers including:
- Paul by Eric Rowe
- Peter by David R. Beck
- Melito of Sardis by Paul A. Hartog
- Origen of Alexandria by Stephen O. Presley
- Ephrem the Syrian by Jonathan J. Armstrong
- Basil of Caesarea by Jonathan Morgan
- John Chrysostom by Paul A. Hartog
- Augustine of Hippo by Edward L. Smither
- Gregory the Great by W. Brian Shelton
- Bernard of Clairvaux by Elizabeth Hoare
- Francis of Assisi by Timothy D. Holder
- Saint Bonaventure by G. R. Evans
- Meister Eckhart by Daniel Farca?
- Johannes Tauler by Byard Bennett
- John Huss by Mark A. Howell
- Girolamo Savonarola by W. Brian Shelton
- Martin Luther by Robert Kolb
- Ulrich Zwingli by Kevin L. King
- Balthasar Hubmaier by Corneliu C. Simu?
- William Tyndale by Scott A. Wenig
- John Calvin by Anthony N. S. Lane
- William Perkins by Dwayne Milioni
- Richard Baxter by Simon Vibert
- John Owen by Henry M. Knapp
- John Bunyan by Larry Steven McDonald
- Matthew Henry by William C. Watson and W. Ross Hastings
- Fran ois F nelon by Martin I. Klauber
- Jonathan Edwards by Gerald R. McDermott
- John Wesley by Michael Pasquarello III
- George Whitefield by Bill Curtis and Timothy McKnight
Volume Two, available separately, covers the period from the Enlightenment to the present day and profiles thirty-one preachers including Charles Haddon Spurgeon, Karl Barth, John Stott, Martin Luther King Jr., Billy Graham, and more.