This short book has a dual purpose and is aimed at two audiences: Through practical instruction and guidance, it equips bishops to minister effectively as the chief pastor in the diocese, while helping clergy and congregations reduce the eternal anxiety around the words, "The bishop is coming." Realizing that ceremonial custom varies among dioceses and congregations, the author lays out some normative principles that should be followed in all liturgies at which the bishop presides or is present. His clear, engaging, and often humorous style will put the reader at ease when dealing with ceremonial material.
1. Bearings: Each Congregation's "Usual Thing"
2. Brief Survival Guides for the Bishop
3. The Parish Visitation, with a note on Eucharists at which the Bishop does not preside
4. The Cathedral Ordination of Presbyters with the Reception of the Orders of one Previously Ordained; A brief note on the Ordination of Deacons
5. Vows and Oils: Redefining the "Chrism Mass," with a note on Restoration to the Ministry
6. Solemn Evensong
7. Passages: Institutions, Weddings, and Funerals
8. Through the Liturgical Year
9. Sample Customaries and Documents, Select Bibliography