"The one who is coming after me is stronger than I am. I’m not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."
Ministry of John the Baptist
3 In those days John the Baptist appeared in the desert of Judea announcing, 2 “ Change your hearts and lives! Here comes the kingdom of heaven! ” 3 He was the one of whom Isaiah the prophet spoke when he said:
4 John wore clothes made of camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist. He ate locusts and wild honey.
5 People from Jerusalem, throughout Judea, and all around the Jordan River came to him. 6 As they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River. 7 Many Pharisees and Sadducees came to be baptized by John. He said to them, “ You children of snakes! Who warned you to escape from the angry judgment that is coming soon? 8 Produce fruit that shows you have changed your hearts and lives. 9 And don’t even think about saying to yourselves, Abraham is our father. I tell you that God is able to raise up Abraham’s children from these stones. 10 The ax is already at the root of the trees. Therefore, every tree that doesn’t produce good fruit will be chopped down and tossed into the fire. 11 I baptize with water those of you who have changed your hearts and lives. The one who is coming after me is stronger than I am. I’m not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12 The shovel he uses to sift the wheat from the husks is in his hands. He will clean out his threshing area and bring the wheat into his barn. But he will burn the husks with a fire that can’t be put out. ”
Volume X: Acts; Introduction to Epistolary Literature; Romans; 1 Corinthians. Volume X contains an excellent Introduction to Epistolary Literature, plus comments on the New Testament books of Acts, Romans, and 1 Corinthians.
• Easy-to-use format—detailed, critical Commentary and Reflections (a detailed exposition growing directly out of the Commentary)
• Coverage of the entire Bible in twelve volumes
• Includes the Apocryphal/ Deuterocanonical books
• New material specifically prepared to meet the needs of today’s preachers, teachers, and students of the Bible
• The biblical text is divided into coherent and natural units
• The ecumenical roster of contributors includes top scholars and emerging new voices
• Contributors draw upon a variety of approaches
• Numerous visual aids (illustrations, maps, charts, timelines) enhance understanding and ease of use
• Introductions to each biblical book cover essential historical, literary, sociocultural, and theological issues
• The full texts and critical notes of the New International Version® and the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible are presented in parallel columns for quick reference and comparison.
Download The NIB Vol. 10 Errata Sheet
CD-ROM Version for the full Twelve Volumes is also available. Click here for more details.